Monday, October 1, 2012

Where to start when things are out of countrol.

I pinned this a couple of months ago on pinterest for the day that I would need it.  That day is here or rather it came last week and we are still trying to dig out of the rubble.  I took the advice of Jessica from Life as a Mom blog and tried to focus on two things: food and laundry.  I planned out the food, went grocery shopping and have been following the schedule ever since (one whole day, whooo hoooo!)  Mellie does the laundry around here and even though she had brought home work from the office, she was still able to knock out a few loads over the weekend.  There were clean towels when I showered today.  Clean underwear when I was getting dressed and the only reason I couldn't find anything to wear is because I am over every. single. thing. in my closet, not because there were not clean clothes in the closet to begin with. 

As I blog this evening, dinner is finished, the dishes are done, and I would be in the kitchen right now making the chicken salad for lunch if I was not locked into a bitter battle with Matty over his homework.  And by homework I mean classwork that he didn't finish up last week and didn't bring home this weekend and now must finish tonight.  Holy crap being a parent is fun.  FREAKIN AWESOME (but not so much at the moment).   So he is in there searching the atlas for the Sahara Desert and I am in here trying to ignore him and let him live through his natural consequences.  Who said being a laid back parent was easy?  It's actually much, much harder than riding him every second and making him do every last thing.

PS - the wonderful sounding crockpot steel cut oats from last night? Yeah.  I awoke to the fantastic smell of burnt crockpot steel cut oats this morning.  That was fun cleaning up.  Tonight I made Overnight Pumpkin Oatmeal.  That sits overnight in the fridge, so we'll see.  At least it won't be burnt. 

I just realized that I didn't get tomorrow night's dinner in the crockpot (Crockpot Honey Apple Pork Loin).  A mother's work is never done (except apparently if you are Mellie and come home to a cooked meal and then sit in your chair with your face in your phone all night).  I would do this all so willingly if I didn't have to go work eight hours somewhere else too!

No comments:

Post a Comment