Sunday, September 30, 2012

Planning to Eat

Plans.  It's the only way for me to get anything done.  Meal planning has always been an issue.  When it works, it works really well.  When the plans fail or I fail to plan, we eat takeout.  A lot.  That leads to lethargy and moodiness, which leads to an unhappy family. 

The problem is, meal planning can be a pain in the ass.  It's labor intensive and I've never found a way that works for our family.  Until now.  I found this site, plantoeat.com.  It uses your recipes and you can easily add recipes from the web.  You enter the recipes one time, and have access to them forever.  You can drag them to a calendar and a shopping list will automatically be created. 

Shopping with the list was amazing.  I was in and out in 45 minutes and came in under budget.  I only bought one impulse purchase and it was sprouted sour dough bread, so I feel ok about that. 

Breakfast is Slow Cooker Banana and Coconut Milk Steel Cut Oats

Lunch is leftovers from tonight's dinner, Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Breast, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.  Matty won't eat asparagus, so he had apple sauce with the chicken and potatoes.

Dinner is Crock Pot Beer Chicken

Today I also made Chicken Stew with Kale and Cannellini Beans and Cardamom Pistachio Quick Bread.   Took some stew to a friend who just lost her mom and giving some to my parents tomorrow.  They are down with some kind of viral upper-respiratory bug.  The stew has six cups of the most gelatinous chicken stock you ever saw, all home made and full of the good stuff.  Hoping it will provide nourishment and calming healing to each of them.   I haven't tasted the bread yet, but will report back.

So, planning to plan meals?  CHECK!  Keeping up with that and making it a habit?  TO BE DETERMINED.


No comments:

Post a Comment